1. Where are the City offices located?
Highwood City Hall is located at 17 Highwood Avenue, just east of the Union Pacific (Metra) railroad tracks. For directions, click here.
2. What is the non-emergency number for the Highwood Police and Fire Departments?
Police Department Non-Emergency Dispatch: 847.604.8992
Fire Department Non-Emergency: 847.432.7622
3. On what day is my garbage picked up? How can I arrange for a special garbage pickup? Where do I purchase yard waste stickers?
Residential refuse pickup is on Wednesday. You may click here to view general refuse collection information. To arrange a special pickup with Veolia, we ask that you call their offices directly at 847.272.4145. Yard waste stickers are available for purchase at Highwood City Hall, Walgreens (320 Waukegan Ave), and Mutual Ace Hardware in Highland Park.
4. I commute to work via rail/bus each morning. Where can I park my vehicle?
You may park your vehicle in one of the City’s two commuter parking lots near the Downtown Metra Train Station and the Fort Sheridan Metra Train Station. The cost to park in these lots is $2 per day. Please take note of your parking stall number prior to inserting payment into the payment box near each train station.
5. I would like to open/close a water or refuse account, or have a question. How do I get help?
Please call Candy or Adrian at 847.432.1924 at Highwood City Hall in order to assist you with this process.
6. Do I need to register my dog with the City?
Yes, all dogs that reside within the City of Highwood need to be registered and licensed by the City. The cost of this license is $13 annually; please bring proof of rabies registration in with you during your trip to City Hall.
7. May we burn leaves in the fall?
No. In 2003, the Highwood City Council voted to ban the burning of leaves within Highwood’s City limits in light of the health concerns associated with the burning of leaves.