To inquire about the status of your business license application please send an email to Jaime Litjens.
Reminder: All business licenses expire on January 31. Courtesy renewal notices are mailed December 20.
What is a Business License?
A Business License serves the following purposes: i) promote, protect and safeguard the public health, safety and welfare, ii) provide a tool for the City to monitor economic development within Highwood, and iii) assist with the maintenance of accurate records for businesses and commercial activities within the City.
Who Needs a City of Highwood Business License?
Any person, but not limited to, an individual, partnership, corporation or sole proprietor who wishes to conduct either directly or indirectly, any business within the City of Highwood, must secure a business license certificate. The City ordinance states that it is unlawful for any person to commence, transact, engage in, or carry on any business in the city without first having obtained a valid license and paid the license fee.
This Business License requirement is in addition to other license requirements such as restaurant licenses, liquor licenses, vehicle licensing, etc. which may also be applicable to your business.
Before You Apply
In addition to obtaining the business license certificate, you must also comply with all the city, county, state, and federal regulations for zoning, building, health and safety, as well as any others which may directly apply to your type of business.
Business License Fees
The annual fees is $50. If a business has non-profit status or is exempt from municipal licensing with the State of Illinois, fees may be waived. Proof must be provided with the application.
All fees should be payable to the City of Highwood. Please be aware that we accept Cash, Check, and Credit Cards (American Express, Discover, Visa and MasterCard).
Where Do I Go To Get My Business License?
Business licenses are processed at front counter located at City Hall, 17 Highwood Avenue.
What Do I Need To Do To Get My Business License?
You will need to complete a City of Highwood Business License Application (PDF).
Business License Renewal
Once you have obtained a business license certificate, a courtesy renewal notice will be mailed to you approximately three weeks before the expiration date. Licenses which expire on January 31 must renew by January 31 to avoid a penalty. If you do not receive a renewal notice, please contact the business license coordinator at (847) 432-1924 or by email (link). Failure to receive a renewal notice does not relieve the business owner's responsibility to renew the business license.
- Athletic Trainers
- Barbers and Cosmetologists1
- Blasting Operations
- Business Schools
- Carrier and Racing Pigeons
- Certified Shorthand Reporters
- Clinical Psychologists
- Dairy Farms
- Detectives and Detective Agencies
- Dietitians and Nutrition Counselors
- Environmental Health Practitioners
- Health Practitioners
- Home Inspectors
- Home Medical Equipment and Services Provider
- Illinois Speech Language Pathology and Audiologists
- Insurance Brokers
- Interior Designers and Residential Interior Designers
- Land Surveyors2
- Landscape Architects
- Lie Detector Operator
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Massage Therapy
- Milk Products
- Nursing Home Administrators
- Occupational Therapists
- Operators of Automated Teller Machines
- Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics
- Physical Therapists and Physical Therapists Assistant
- Physician Assistants
- Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Alarm or Locksmith
- Professional Boxers and Wrestlers
- Professional Counselor and Clinical Professional Counseling
- Real Estate Appraisers
- Real Estate Broker
- Respiratory Care Practitioners
- Riverboat Gambling
- Social Workers
- Structural Engineers
- Taking of Wildlife
- Time Share Estates
- Title Insurance
- Underground Gasoline Storage Tanks
- Underground Utility Facilities
- Vocational Schools
- Water Well and Pump Installation Contractors
- Wholesale Drug Distributors