Housing Improvement Program - City of Highwood Grant
The Housing Improvement Program (HIP) is a City of Highwood grant program providing matching funds to incentivize new and existing owners to reduce residential density and/or eliminate dilapidated and non-conforming residential units and structures in the community.
Funding will only be provided to those projects that are deemed appropriate and that meet the guidelines and reporting requirements listed below at the sole discretion of the City of Highwood. Funds are limited, once the budget amount is met the program will be suspended until the next fiscal year.
- Budget total: $50,000 per year.
- Maximum grant level per project: $10,000.
- Grant applications will be accepted and funded until all grant funds are depleted. Unfunded, but eligible projects, will be cataloged and receive consideration in subsequent fiscal years.
- Each project application must include a cash match contribution. The minimum match is 50% of the requested project funding. The higher the match the greater the likelihood of a grant award.
- Grant awards will fund materials only. Labor should not be included in the grant application.
- Projects must reduce residential density and/or eliminate rezoning and building code non-conformities.
- Projects that increase density, such as converting a single family home to a duplex, are not eligible.
- Grant requests should focus on a particular product or material used as part of a larger project, such as: shingles, siding, flooring, stairs, windows, etc.
- Materials should be long lasting, of high quality, and architecturally appropriate. Suggestions include: wood flooring, high efficiency windows, front doors with side lights, architectural grade roof shingles, solid surface counters, solid core interior doors, and fiber cement, cedar, and brick siding, and others.
- Visible from the street landscaping materials will also be considered including: front yard brick paver stoops, walks, and other improvements.
Application (PDF) and Reporting Requirements:
- Complete an HIP form (PDF), must be signed by the property owner.
- Provide sufficient detail on the proposed supplier and materials requested for funding.
- Provide copy of building permit if required.
- Funding will be provided After the project is completed and inspected by City Staff.
- Grantee must provide receipts/invoices detailing product costs prior to receiving grant.
- Projects will be reviewed and awarded based on the Award Criteria noted on the form.